Sunday, July 26, 2009

Christian Doctor Deemed Not Equal for UK Adoption Decisions

Dr. Sheila Matthews, a pediatrician, was removed from Northamptonshire county council's adoption panel for her disagreement over homosexual adoption of children, saying that politically-correct legislation can't change the facts of life.

-- From "Doctor sacked over gay adoptions reinstated" by Patrick Sawer, The London Telegraph 7/25/09

The Sunday Telegraph revealed last week that Dr Sheila Matthews had been removed from Northamptonshire county council's adoption panel because she was not willing to recommend gay couples as suitable candidates to become adoptive parents.

However, following protests, Northamptonshire has now decided that she can continue with the central part of her role – conducting medical examinations of would-be adoptive parents and children waiting to be adopted. She will not be allowed to take part in the adoption panel's votes on whether candidates would make suitable parents.

Dr Matthews said: "I've been overwhelmed by the support I've received from the public. I'm pleased with the council's decision because it allows me to carry on providing a service to children and social services. Unfortunately, while I can now do my work as a community paediatrician, I won't be allowed to vote on recommendations for any of the candidates.

"There is research which supports my position that a same sex partnership is not the best family setting to bring up children. As a Christian and a paediatrician I believe that children do best with a mother and father in a committed, long term relationship. Therefore, I cannot recommend a same-sex household to be in the best interest of a child, despite what politicians may have legislated for."

To read the entire article, CLICK HERE.